In today's competitive environment, companies are using an increasing number of marketing tools to lure consumers and potential clients to try their products or visit their websites. Contests (games of skill) and sweepstakes (games of chance) are amongst the most important of these tools. They can attract thousands of visitors to your website, or entice them to try your product. They can also be a minefield for the unwary, since a nationwide competition will involve the varying laws of 51 separate US jurisdictions.
Working with Jacobs & Burleigh LLP, you will find that we take the time to explain the benefits and pitfalls of competitions, as well as the applicable laws. Jacobs & Burleigh has the experience and knowledge to assist your company in conducting a successful contest or sweepstakes. In particular, we can:
- Review or help you develop the basic provisions for your competition to ensure that it complies with all applicable laws.
- Review all advertising and in-store copy.
- Ensure that you are not violating the rights of any other person or entity.
- Advise you as to the necessity of establishing a free means of entry, and how to comply with such requirement if necessary.
- Draft and review Official Rules and Affidavits of Eligibility.
- Advise you as to any necessary filings with the respective states.